Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful discussion or black tape?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:34:59 -0700

><Snip>
> Given I've said my anti whining piece. ;-) Let me ask.    How many LUGnuts
> would consider using the R 100mm 2.8 macro or any 100 mm lens, as a "normal
> lens?"  Or as a better than 50mm for a broad base of shooting opportunities?
>
> Think about it for a moment before answering and imagine the opportunities
> one can use this interesting lens for;  as a kind of general use, scenic,
> close-up, portrait, macro, copying and a bunch more situations. One can even
> use a 2X extender and make it quickly into a 200 mm lens or be bold and add
> a macro extender turning the standard macro into a super macro for real
> inside water drop images.
>
> Any thoughts folks along the use of this lens?
> ted

Let me preface this by saying i just got a 120 macro for my Hasselblad and
although my newest piece of gear tends to get used the most I've fond myself
having to use the other lenses just as much, my 80 and 50 and my last job this
week required those and the 120 did not get used.
I've gone out on big walks with my Hassy but no guts as to having that new lens
on the camera.
I suspect i'd feel the same on the  R 100mm 2.8 macro. Too much heavy pricy glass.

Although the 100 is THE reason for myself and a lot of people getting into SLR
and Leica R instead of M is that the lens to knock around with all day

like you do with your Knock-toe-lux?

The 60 macro seems a more happening thing. To me at least.

IF i was going to get the 100 and an R8 but then wanted to have the camera with
me all day...
I'd have to save up even more money and get the 60 or the awsome new 50. I
wouldn't wast my money on wides which for me is rangefinder territory.
TGIF

Mark Rabiner
and then get the 180 2.8

Portland, Oregon