Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: quality control
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:32:54 -0700

>I have to agree with Seth. While it is indeed true that today's technology
>makes reporting these problems to a very wide audience almost instantaneous,
>my experience with Leica Solms has not been the best.
>I purchased three new Leica lenses in the last two months: a 28-70mm vario
>(current version), a 80-200mm vario (current version) and a 100mm 2.8 APO
>(current version).
>I had to send the 28-70mm back three times to get a decent lens; 80-200mm
>twice, 100mm 2.8 APO three times (never got a good one).
>[snip]
>Does this sound like a company that occasionally sends out a bad product?
>
>Tom Henson

Tom,

What happened to you was indeed unfortunate, but before we conclude - as
some apparently have - that Leica quality control is an oxymoron, let's not
forget that the few thousand LUGGERS have probably collectively spent
millions on hundreds of thousands of Leica products.

We never hear from folks who've just bought a lens and/or body and it
functions flawlessly right out of the box. But should someone receive a bum
lens (or two, or three), we hear about it long and loud.

I would wager that there are a lot more of the former than the latter.

Perhaps that should be taken into consideration before we write off Leica
quality control.

Guy