Subject: Re: [Leica] Focotar Enlarging lenses
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 11:58:07 +0800

> by any chance have you been able to compare your S-Biogon to a 105/5.6 APO
> EL-Nikkor ?

Afraid not! Would be most interested to hear of anyone who has. However I
must say the prospect of making 70x enlargements with the 105 would probably
involve making a whole new building whilst the 40mm means just having good
relations with the people upstairs...

Soon I will get my hands on a Schneider Apo Componon 40mm and will compare
that with the Zeiss. I have the Apo Componon 90 and it is optically very
nice though I had to check through half a dozen new ones before I got one
with mechanical weirdness (stiff/floppy aperture controls, loose barrels
etc).

Oh Marc forgot to mention another 100mm Leitz enlarging lens: the V-Elmar.
This is supposed to be very good though not state of the art today. It is
the most common lens on Focomat IIcs for the medium format side whilst they
used the same 60mm lens for 35mm throughout.

The real expert on all this is Tom Abrahamsson who has one of the super rare
Elcan point source enlargers based on the Iic. Produces sharp but truly
horrid looking prints.

Bests

Adrian
- --