Subject: Re: [Leica] Voigtlander 35 f/1.7
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 07:19:49 -0700

Chris:

I personally have used two Cosina lenses. I know that this isn't a large
number but the one thing that it has shown me is that they are not a
substitute for Leica glass. They might fit a nitch where Leica doesn't
produce a particular length, or if you have LTM bodies.
With regard to the LTM bodies, they provide the best possible solution
currently in using optics that are free from the vagaries of the
collectable marketplace. If you're using M bodies, you might wish to
save a few months more to get that particular Leica lens of your dreams,
and/or printing/shooting capabilities.
My own experience, and seeing other images from the Cosina strain has
not overwhelmed me with their capability. Something you might wish to
rethink is the Leitz sales pitch on their optics, in that they are
usable throughout their whole range of f-stops. Usable meaning a
contrast clarity and sharpness that still defeats the very best of lense
makers, let alone the aftermarket manufacturers. Cosina lenses have a
particular threshold. If you stray from that circumscriptive "line," you
will be disappointed, as you are by now infected with Leica's
discernible qualitative capabilities. All this is said in the context of
the M line. If you're using the LTM bodies, then disregard everything
I've said and get the Cosina.
The contrast of the Cosinas is somewhat brittle and is just a bit too
abrupt in the transition from shadow to highlight. I found that they
create a strange "clumping" of contrast areas as the optics try to
simulate brightness. They also lack the mythical Leica ability to
illuminate the shadows areas, which can be a liability when you need
that extra edge. How many times have you shot at dusk or in a
problematic lighting situation. and then saw the negs, I bet many times
with amazement, print up as though you had all the light in the world to
play with.
There is never a substitute if you know for better.

Best,
 Slobodan Dimitrov

Message from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Voigtlander 35 f/1.7)