Subject: Re: [Leica] Shades for 5cm Summitar.
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:16:38 -0500

Well, I use one of the big old foldy things, and think it gives pretty
good shade at the same time allowing a pretty good view through the
teeny tiny viewfinder.  The lens itself protrudes a bit into the field
of view, and the clamp for the SOOPD adds just a bit of extra diameter,
but there's a window in the back of the hood that leaves only a line
across the rest of the field of view (the top flap of the hood, viewed
from the back edge.)  When extended, it's a pretty formidable extension
from the front of the lens, but it folds flat and adds only about 5-6mm
of extra depth to the lens.

I suspect any round hood that gave the same degree of shade would block
much more of the field of view (I can verify that the IROOA, designed
for 35 and 50mm E39 lenses and a slightly loose fit on a Summitar, does
in fact block quite a bit more - and I don't think it gives nearly as
much shade as the SOOPD.)

I had two, and just sold the very nice one on Ebay but only got $26.00
for it.  So they aren't a big investment for such a lot of nice German
metal.

Cheers,
Kip