Subject: [Leica] re: right to display or use images
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:38:56 -0400 (EDT)

>A photographer puts up images he made of a wedding (let's say the typical
>bride and groom shot) in his shop window, regardless whether he paid for
>the enlargement himself or not.
>
>Of course, the photographer owns the intellectual rights to his own work,
>but that does *not* take away the necessity for him to obtain consent to
>use or display the image from those represented on it.

here's something i noticed the other day in the screed of gibberish
attached to my reciept from my local 1 hour lab:

"many prints are produced in public areas, and misuse or public display of
such under these conditions carry the same limits of liability [value of
film only] except no value is given to the photographs."

this seems to me to be saying "if we put some of your prints on display
all you can do is ask us to take them down."

i, for one, would be pretty darn upset if someone put up some of my images
without my prior, _express_ permission.

kc

Replies: Reply from lea <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] re: right to display or use images)