Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: Gilbert Plantinga <gilplant@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:30:23 -0400

on 5/22/01 4:32 PM, mdelman at mdelman@rochester.rr.com wrote:

> Gilbert:
>
> Thanks for your comments.  I'm thinking about purchasing a Epson.  In your
> opinion, at what dpi is there no improvement in image quality on this type
> of system?

According to Jon Cone, developer of the Piezography system:

Piezography?BW eats up resolution to produce greater detail. It is unrelated
to the 720/1440 issues. EPSON interpolates, Piezography?BW does not.

We see the best results at 360 and higher. Even 720 and higher. A practical
limit is about 1000. But this is optical resolution, not interpolated. Some
scanners can not deliver this type of resolution at output size!