Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 20:18:01 -0500

>Gilbert:
>
>Thanks for your comments.  I'm thinking about purchasing a Epson.  In your
>opinion, at what dpi is there no improvement in image quality on this type
>of system?

If you're buying an Epson printer and you will use it with their inks,
paper and most importantly software driver, I think you will be happy
with letter size prints from a 2700 ppi scanner. For larger prints (up
to12X18) the 4000 ppi scannners really shine. This assumes full frame,
full scanner hardware resolution.

I can make fine digital prints (some may consider this a contradiction,
but its not) on my 1270 from 2000 ppi scans at negative size then output
at @6X9 on letter paper.

For Piezo driver and inks I think all the resolution you can get is
better.

I think the bit depth of the scanner and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL ITS
OPERATORS SKILL is the most important part.

Henry