Subject: Re: [Leica] The right flash for the M6 TTL
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:04:46 -0400

>> Actually, there's no fill on the T2. But you do have the option of
bare
>> bulb, which is even better.

>Simon,

>With the R8, the fill in is automatic with the T2 when used
>in P mode.

>For the M6TTL I quote the Quantum web site:

>"The - TTL adapter- QF23 has a flash compensation switch for
>fill-flash TTL.
>The compensation is adjustable from -2 to +2 in 1/3 stop
>increments.
>This will enable you to adjust your flash to ambient light
>ratio when shooting in the TTL mode."

Hi Lucian:

OK, I see what you mean, but we are talking about two different things.
The original poster of the thread mentioned something about wanting to
have a Metz unit where you could turn the fill off. I think this is a
reference to the secondary fill tube on Metz (and other) hammerhead
units, which is designed to reduce fill the ugly shadows bounce flash
can cause. The Quantum does not have this feature.

What it does have, as you correctly state, is a function on some of the
dedicated modules (such as the QF23 I use with my M6TTL) allowing the
easy setting of synchro-sun fill ratios. Another use for the dial is as
a way to calibrate your flash for your own personal negative density
preferences, which is why I usually have mine on +1/3 of a stop to
improve shadow detail on dark suits and the like.

Regards,

Simon Stevens.