Subject: Re: [Leica] nikon s3
From: Daniel Bowdoin <danlb@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 13:20:36 -0700

ray tai wrote

 what is the deal with this camera and why is it so expensive? I don't get
>> the point. what is a collectors item? you pay 4800 to sell it for 5500 10,
>> 20 years from now? why
>
>My first Leica outfit - new M6, 50mm Summicron, used 90 Summicron set me back
>just about $4000 about 4 years ago.  I am sure the S3 is up to snuff so
>what is
>the diff?

It's my impression that the S3 is a limited-edition slightly-updated copy
of the 1958 S3. Only a couple of thousand built, only one lens available
(50/1.4), sold by subscription in theory only in Japan. Meant for
collectors, not for users, as a sort of millenium commemorative issue. I
suppose that conceptually it occupies a similar place in Nikon's product
line as the O camera occupies in Leica's. I suspect that the ones that
are beginning to show up here now were imported directly from Japan,
outside the Nikon USA channel. Years ago Nikon did something vaguely
similar marketwise with the F3P, a camera which Nikon USA would tell you
didn't exist.

Regards

Dan Bowdoin

Replies: Reply from lucien <director@ubi.edu> (Re: [Leica] nikon s3)