Subject: RE: [Leica] To go 21 or 24mm - Leica dreams
From: Invisible Man <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 01 16:33:39 -0400

>I love using the 25mm Voigtlander, but I would prefer it if the focusing was
>coupled to the rangefinder.  In my position, which of the two lenses would
>you go for?

        --> I have read your email with great interest.

        --> I have NOT read the other responses yet.

        --> It seems to me, if we take a system analysis approach
              that THREE most interesting choices could represent
              a significant upgrade to your system.

              LEICA brand products you should consider,
              but will have to decide yourself on are:

              #1   24mm   very highly regarded lens in the LUG
                     it certainly would represent an exciting
                     addition to your system.

              #2   Noctilux f/1
                     Your extensive system would reach greater
                     applicability with such an f/1 option, especially
                     as you mention you are discovering the joys
                     of "street photography" and have the right budget.

               #3  21mm  / viewfinder
                     IF you often go about in forests or "cramped"
                     urban situations, this LEICA choice brings
                     excellent optical characteristics, far beyond
                     mere sharpness. I have not had the privilege of
working
                     with ultra-wide 15mm optics but the usual field
curvature
                     clashes with my notion of good photography,
                     unless the subject just invites "creative"
expression.

                     PS: ** A quality bounce capable TTL flash unit could
open up
                     your system to much wider overall applications.

                My private choice, given your wonderful system and budget,
                your stated photo interests, most certainly would be
                to get the 24mm LEICA. It's a pedigreed reference and
likely
                could justify a second LEICA camera body, perhaps
                a minty "old Doctor's" late M4-2 / M4P, for instance.

                Further, IF you hardly use the 50 and 75mm focal lengths,
                one option you overlooked is to get the LEICA Summilux
f/1.4
                ASPH. 35mm, most useful and easier to compose & focus at
full
                aperture than a Noctilux, definitely a strong LEICA
option too ...

                Finally, a LEICA M Motor Drive most definitely could add
                to the overall excitement of your photo shoot hours...

                All of which could translate your revised photo system as:

                     --  15mm Voigtlander
                     --  24 mm LEICA (the newer one)
                     --  35 mm LEICA f/1.4 asph
                     --  50mm  LEICA f/1 Noctilux   [ ? ]
                     --  90 mm LEICA Elmarit f/2.8
                     --  LEICA M Motor Drive

                 Will it be cash or credit card, Sir ?     :+)

                 Andre Jean Quintal