Subject: Re: [Leica] For All But Brian To Read
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 17:37:51 -0700

I'm not going to read it, but I can guess what it's about.
Please pay attention to my previous message:

    Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:29:25 -0700
    To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
    From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
    Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG archive repaired

    >As Brian only keeps this archive for our use, shouldn't we be
    >forking out to buy the new disk?

    The issue isn't money. Disks are cheap now. And I'm employed
    again. The issue is the time and energy to back up the old disk,
    swap old for new, and restore from backup, on a machine that
    hasn't been down or off in 2 years.

The 8GB disk that currently holds the LUG archives was $1200
when I bought it (7200 RPM Ultra SCSI). The local computer store
is currently selling 30 GB SCSI disks for $129 and 40 GB ATA/100
disks for $99. And Disk Drive Depot has the Seagate ST42345W (23
GB Ultra Wide SCSI) for $119.

Bad times in the computer industry are good times for people who
are just trying to keep a home server working.