Subject: [Leica] Disagreeing is how we learn
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:20:00 +0100

John Brownlow wrote

>I just find it hard to imagine that
>landscape, still life, portraiture and consensual documentary are going to
>be more than 50% of anyone's greatest hits.

Wow.
You either have a limited imagination, an amazing knowledge of the members
of the human race or wrote that without thinking (which I confess to being
guilty of on more than one occasion).

Non-consensual documentary makes up a small proportion of the images (still
or moving) that have affected me strongly in one way or another (not wishing
to use the words 'greatest hits'). Maybe I'm speaking as a rank outsider; I
hope not.

I make documentary films, and unless deliberately trying to do someone harm
(very rare), all are entirely consensual. Just because that is how I wish to
be.
I probably wouldn't make it into JB's top 10,000,000,000 greatest hits, but
I might. Who knows?

BTW Which of your category boxes would you put Raymond Moore into? He opened
my eyes to the power of photography so much that I almost stopped painting.

With best wishes, each to their own, be good to yourselves,
Malcolm