Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: MLU pre-release
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 09:15:16 -0400 (EDT)

- ------Original Message------
From: David Morgan <morgdm@itl.net>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Sent: May 26, 2001 11:18:16 AM GMT

Just my 2p worth.

The R5 has a mirror lock-up lever, or rather a dial, situated on the left
of the viewfinder.
It also has a small brass pin on the base, near the lens mount. After
reading the posts on this subject, I have been trying to find out what it
does....
In all modes, except A with selective metering,  pressing the pin in (
using a tool carefully crafted from a paperclip) and then firing the
shutter seems to prevent the shutter firing ( no mirror lock-up) until the
paperclip is removed, at which point the shutter fires (as long as the
button is held down.
In A selective, the shutter fires, and remains open for about 10 secs.

Hope this helps someone, because it has totally confused me!

David
<<<

I'm not sure what you mean by a dial on the left of the viewfinder, but the
brass pin is one of the motor connections.  It may switch the camera's
battery power off because with most R bodies the meter is powered by the
motor's batteries when the motor is attached.  See if you get any meter
readings when the pin is pressed.  Also, see if the camera works at the
mechanical shutter speed with the pin depressed.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: MLU pre-release)