Subject: Re: [Leica] LEE'S PAW
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 06:42:03 -0700

Lee Bacchus wrote:
>>Wearied of trying to shoot the same old shinola, so I committed some
experimental visual sabotage with some kodachrome and tri-x
(http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=52810). These
are hardly the pinnacle of aesthetics and will entice few tastes, so feel
free to pass on this week.<<<<<

Hi Lee,
Hey good buddy you gotta stop shooting when you're suffering the morning
quivers due to the night before. ;-)  Or I'm not suffering from the night
before. ;-)

The PAW is a great idea to push people out to shoot, but may I suggest one
keep in mind, if you don't have a good one to post, experimental stuff or
not, it's OK.... if it works.......but there are times when the experiment
doesn't and it shouldn't be posted, as you do yourself no favours just
because you feel guilty you must.

Better something worth while than one that just didn't work. Not good for
ones soul and peace of mind later.

Now the shaky ones....  Experimental. ;-)

This  kind of subject is more effective in colour than B&W, unless you have
higher contrast in the B&W subject too illustrate the blur effectively. The
shot should be recognizable simply because, if it's too far into the effect
the content really looks like you screwed-up and blew it, then the effect is
too much. Not to mention what others think of your ability as a shooter. ;-)
We know you're good and this is just a bad day. :-)

Try doing this as an experiment when you have a few minutes in the evening,
twilight zone or slightly later, but before the night sky goes completely
black.

Camera on tripod with colour, don't care what kind, compose an interesting
scene, a multi lit street makes some interesting effects. In Vancouver, try
Chinatown for nice lighting. Make a few exposures. Then try several more,
identical scene, during the exposure kick the tripod leg, not violently.:-)
You need to try this several times as you have no idea what it's going to
look like until you're on the light table.

Obviously the more you shake the tripod during exposure the more blur
effective. And because you're doing experimental, bang off a roll,  shooting
both non and shake modes. You need both for comparison as a two picture
combo when you pick the best to illustrate the effect.

Then post, just make sure to use one nice sharpo and the matching blur
effect. You must shoot the _______ same scene ______  back to back for best
comparison effect.

Then maybe I wont feel like I've got up on the wrong side of the Titanic!
Thank you. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant