Subject: [Leica] Leica Gallery, New York City
From: LeicaPhoto@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 15:59:28 EDT

We have been "silent" on the LUG for some time and we want to re-introduce
ourselves. We are going into our 8th year as Leica's Gallery in the United
States. We are affiliated with Leica USA and Leica AG (Germany) and we have
approx. nine major exhibitions of Leica photography every season.
Additionally, we have an extremely large selection of Leica books, signed
photography books and Leica boutique items. We exclusively bring into the US
from England The Leica M6 TTL Handbook by Jonathan Eastland (published in
2000/hardbound, 183 pages illustrated, published by Eastland/Ajax). For LUG
members, the signed copies are $39.95 + only $5. shipping anywhere in the
continental U.S. We also have Erwin Puts' The Leica Lens Compendium
(published in 2001/hardbound, 240 pages illustrated, Hove Press imported
directly by Leica Gallery [the best books on Leica lenses by far in our
opinion]). Price is $64.95 and for LUG members + only $5. shipping in the
continental U.S. If both the Eastland and Puts books are ordered then there
is no shipping charge at all. Finally, for exclusive books, we want to note
Vanni Calanca's E La Sua Leica - Volume I (hardbound), 107 pages with deluxe
printing and image reproduction), with a signed preface by Leica's Ralph
Hagenauer (despite the Italian title, the text is in English, Italian, and
German. We have only about 6 copies left and it is oversized with superb
color portrait photographs of Italy, each one listing the Leica camera model
and lens used. The second volume (we have about 25) is also in English,
Italian and German, and is Vanni Calanca e la sua Leica M: Racconti
Fotografici - Volume II (hardbound, 139 pages). This second volume of the
same high quality is simply unbelievable. The photographs, which now include
Italian landscape and scenes, are all taken with the M6 and each picture
lists the lens and film used. Leica Gallery directly imports the books via
Leica Camera Italy. Volume I is $70. and Volume II is $75. Both volumes are
signed by Vanni Calanca and Volume I is additionally signed by Leica's Ralph
Hagenauer (we have not pinned Mr. Cohn, Leica's CEO down long enough to have
him sign Vol. II)! Again for LUG members, shipping for either volume is only
$5.00 in the continental U.S. and for the two volumes there is no shipping
(in fact for any two volumes, i.e., Eastland, Puts or the Vanni Calanca
books, there is no shipping)! We take VISA, MC, or AMEX and our 24 hour fax
is 212-777-6960. or you can order via email directly to <leicaphoto@aol.com>.
We are here to answer any questions Tuesday through Friday 11am to 6 pm
Eastern Time and  Saturday 12 to 6 Eastern Time (Telephone 212-777-3051). For
those who can come in and see us, we can guarantee the trip is worth it.
Currently, we have a retrospective of the Leica photographer and one of the
founders of Magnum, George Rodger. There are 80 photographs, both signed
vintage and signed later as well as many books signed by his widow, Jinx
Rodger. In the Oskar Barnack Room, we have Marilyn Monroe and The Misfits: 40
Years Later," with 17 signed photographs from the participating Magnum
photographers including Inge Morath, Cornell Capa, Erich Hartmann, etc. We
also have the complete collection in the new Phaidon book of the same title,
both unsigned ($29.95) and also signed by 3 of the Magnum photographers who
filmed The Misfits (Elliott Erwitt, Inge Morath, and Bruce Davidson) for $60.
and finally a few copies of the book signed by Inge Morath and Arthur Miller
(who is one of its authors and also the author of the screenplay) at $100.
Shipping policy is the same as already cited. Both shows run through 23 June.
The last show for the season (opens 28 June through 11 August) is a
retrospective of the work of Magnum giant, Erich Hartmann and the new
exhibition book (imported directly from Europe by us) is Where I Was (in
English: Edition Fotohof/Otto Mueller Verlag/Salzburg, 2000). The book is
signed by his widow, Ruth Hartmann and the preface is by us and we would be
happy to sign it also -- it is $60. (same shipping rules). In the Oskar
Barnack Room during this time is a show of LUG member and Leica photographer,
 Sal DiMarcoJr., it is surely not to be missed. The opening reception for
both shows is Wednesday, 27 June from 5 to 8 pm. and there will be a
book-signing with Ruth Hartmann on Saturday, 30 June from 1 to 4 pm. We'll
try to have Sal DiMarco there also. So, we hope to see many of you soon.
Leica Gallery is at 670 Broadway, Suite 500 (two blocks north of Houston
Street), New York City 10012. Finally, if you are going to plan a trip to
Tokyo, please visit the Leica Gallery there in the heart of the Ginza. It is
fantastic and many of their shows come directly from us at Leica Gallery New
York City. Well this message surely makes up for a long silence - our best
summer wishes to all - Rose and Jay Deutsch/Leica Gallery, NYC