Subject: [Leica] Re: 21mm Elmarit ASPH vs. non-ASPH
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:07:38 -0400

Mose, J P <j.p.mose@lmco.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble with the "search" feature on my computer so
> please excuse my question if it is redundant. I would like to
> purchase a 21mm for my M6. I'd like to hear your opinions on
> the ASPH versus the previous version. I am finicky like many
> Leica users but also trying to be practical ($$$). Most of my
> shots are: Tech Pan or TMAX 100; enlargements 11X14 or
> under; very few at f/2.8. Would I see a big difference?

At 11x14" and under at apertures smaller than f/2.8...no, you won't see a
big difference. The performance gains in the ASPH version are incremental
rather than revolutionary. OTOH the gains are real and if you must have the
sharpest lens then save your pennies and spring for the ASPH version when
your cookie jar is full.

My personal favorite among the Leitz/Leica 21mm lenses is the f/3.4 Super
Angulon. It comes closest in look & feel to the Zeiss f/4.5 Biogon (one of
my all-time favorite lenses, period). I used an SA extensively in the Middle
East in the mid-1980s, courtesy of a Kibbutznik/Leica fanatic who took me
under his wing after spotting the M2 hanging off my shoulder as I pruned
rose bushes in the village's greenhouse. :-)

- -Dave-

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net> ([Leica] Re: 21mm Elmarit ASPH vs. non-ASPH)