Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cleaning Marks/ Recoating
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 05:40:28 -0400

on 5/27/01 11:48 PM, Douglas Cooper at douglas@dysmedia.com wrote:

> I've new heard so many differing opinions regarding cleaning marks; I wonder
> if anyone has done a more scientific examination of this question.  One site
> on the Web claims that multiple cleaning marks are relatively serious, in
> the hierarchy of lens flaws.  Harry Fleenor (one of the world's great Rollei
> repairmen) says that at most light marks will cause a very minor lowering of
> contrast.

I can only give you my practical experience, which is that that web site is
largely WRONG. Cleaning marks, in the sense of a lot of filigree scratches,
completely screw up the behavior of a lens when pointed at anything remotely
resembling a bright light. In this respect they are much worse than great
big gouges in the front of the lens. You always hope they're not going to
matter but, unless they really ARE light, in my experience they do.

If you don't habitually use your lenses wide open or shoot into the light
then you probably won't notice it as much.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com