Subject: Re: [Leica] rust on M6
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:39:15 -0600

The top plate of the M6/M6TTL cameras is made of a zinc composite material.
This corrodes very easily if exposed to salty moisture. A small pin hole in
the finish is enough to give you a large bubble. If you photograph in humid
salty areas, then wipe your camera down with a cloth made damp in fresh
water. Many of the "special" edition cameras and the titanium finished
cameras have brass top plates which do not have this problem. The switch to
zinc composite was made to reduce cost (precision casting which requires
less machining) and increase shock protection (at least this is what Leica
says).

John Collier