Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: "Edward Mortimer" <munkfishy2k@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:56:13 -0000

Dave,
        I think that if an image warrants a crop to make a good composition
or exclude some unwanted subject matter then certainly cropping should and
can be used, and sometimees to good effect
.
Although it would be nice to think we all good enough to frame the image
consistantly correct at the taking stage. There are bound to be times when
cropping is necessary. Even Henri Cartier Bresson, although renound for
printing full frame, has taken to a bit of cropping here and there. His
picture 'Behind the Gare Saint Lazare'(www.photology.com/bresson/) was an
example of this. The corner of a wall that was cropped out of the original
is clearly seen in the final print. So, if you think it needs it, crop it.
Besides, cropping is only one of many processes we perform when making good
images.

Regards Edd