Subject: [Leica] cropping
From: "Robert Appleby Personal" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 07:41:42 +0200

The problem now is that with digital I think I think I'm overcropping. When
I knew I had to make my prints in the darkroom my goal at the point of
exposure was that I would print full frame. Just like Henry alluded to in
his post. But I've noticed lately that I'm getting very lazy in my picture
taking. I'm not framing as carefully. It's as subtle as not taking the extra
moment to consider compostion before I snap the shutter. Why? Perhaps
because I expect to crop. It's so easy.

I think that I'm pointing and shooting more. It's really apparent when I try
making silver prints, like I did over the weekend. My D2 doesn't extend high
enough. And no black borders. I always got such satisfaction printing full
frame and feeling like I couldn't improve anything by cropping.

Although I don't think it makes any _practical_ difference really, I never
crop. Because for me, the mounted slide is like an objet trouvé which has a
kind of validity of its own.

Its as if the picture (slide) was a stone I picked up. How can you improve
on a stone? A boring stone can't be made more interesting by chipping away
at it, or if it can then it's no longer a stone but a _piece_ of stone,
which is very different.

Some stones are nice and others aren't (at least, to my eye, and I'm sure
that other people would pick out other stones). The ones that aren't go back
in the stream, sometimes I like one enough to take it home with me.

The whole charm of photography lies in this for me, that it's like automatic
writing. No decisions, no intentionality. Just pick it up or leave it where
it is. I'm not a creative person or craftsman, put it like that.

Of course I wouldn't propose this as a rule for anyone else. Just a glimpse
into the barren, overfished waters of my own mental processes.

Rob.