Subject: RE: [Leica] A Red Dot story
From: "Carleton, Sam" <Sam.Carleton@FMR.COM>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:13:43 -0400

- -:> Mark wrote:
- -:> -:> Lucien wrote:

- -:> -:> "Carleton, Sam" wrote:

- -:> -:> P.S.  Does anyone know why Leica has never
- -:> -:> updated the shutter in the M6? Nikon has had a
- -:> -:> manual shutter with a 1/250 flash sync in the
- -:> -:> FM2 for over ten years now.  Has Leica ever
- -:> -:> given a reason for not updating the shutter?

- -:> -:> Sam,

- -:> -:> The noise.

- -:> -:> Lucien

- -:> It's already up and does not need a date....

- -:> The Leica shutter is a legendary device of great
- -:> history and hype spoke of in reverent whispers buy
- -:> people who should know better but can't help
- -:> themselves.  You wanna fix it?  First establish
- -:> that it is broke.

- -:> It would seem that for Leica a shutter of
- -:> different specifications is not a priority.

- -:> The Leica shutter is an amazing classic. It's a
- -:> main reason people buy the camera.

I have stated a few times already, but I will again.  I am new to Leica
shooting, for fifteen years I have wanted to shoot with a M6.  I acquired my
M6 a month ago...

The Lecia shutter is the main reason people buy the camera?  What?  The
shutter is the number one complaint I have with the camera.  From what I
have read, the shutter is not even accurate at high speeds.  I think it was
in LUG that I read someone say that they have request a repair shop to set
the 1/1000 to 1/900 or 1/800 because the shutter simply cannot maintain a
1/1000.  I am more then willing to admin ignorance here, please enlighten me
to what is so great about this shutter other then the fact it is quite and
physically small.

I would be willing to bet that if Leica really wanted to, they could make a
shutter with at least a 1/125 flash sync and a top shutter speed of  1/200
and keep it as quite, if not quieter then the current shutter.

- -:> A 50th of a second sync is fine for them it's not
- -:> a camera in which people who shoot flash at high
- -:> noon from a distance flock to.  If you respond to
- -:> this message make your you don't snip mine all out
- -:> or the original asker will never see it.

Oh, I am the original asker:)

Sam