Subject: Re: [Leica] Model Releases
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:28:33 -0400

on 5/31/01 2:49 PM, Guy Bennett at gbennett@lainet.com wrote:

> Actually, I thought of this thread last night as I read an essay by
> Rodchenko - "Against the Synthetic Portrait: For the Snapshot." It contains
> a series of beautifully programmatic Modernist declarations, many of which
> were related to the now infamous "Model Release" thread. The best one was:
>
> Photograph and be photographed!
>
> Wish I had thought of that one in the thick of the debate.

the wit of the staircase!

funnily enough I have been making 'synthetic portraits' for the last couple
of weeks. What is interesting about doing this is that in a way they aspire
to the freedom of the snapshot. I mean, it should be simple... just click
when you see the right expression. Except of course the formality involved
in judging light and composition and making someone feel comfortable with
some monster camera two feet from their nose, plus aiming for technical
perfection makes all that difficult.

But when it all comes together... ay carumba!

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com