Subject: [Leica] Was Two new pix-Now 35/1,4
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:45:42 +0200

Steve,
I bought a "demo" Summilux 35 asph in November. (I have waited a few years to get this dream lens at a favorable price)
I was really amazed to see the sharpness and contrast at F/1,4. Although DOF is small, everything that is within focus is really sharp. This is the big difference, and all F/stops look almost the same, the only thing that differs is DOF.
The Summilux non-asph behaves differently, and needs to be stopped down to F/2,8-4,0 to become as sharp and contrasty. The Summilux non-asph at large apertures is more like a romantic painter, while the asph records things with more honesty.
And yes, I think the non asph is more sensitive to flare.
Best,
Hans