Subject: RE: [Leica] Cropping and the whole damn thing [was: Digital cropp ing]
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 15:42:25 -0500

Guy,

>>Dave: What have art directors and editors got to do with it? We're talking
about photographers and their use (or non-use) of cropping.<<

You're right. That was kind of a reach on my part.

As far as the other cropping issues. Your points are well taken. Cropping is
OK. But the more I crop the more it indicates to me that I slipped a bit in
my initial framing.

>>I come back to the question I asked a couple of days ago: what if you
created a potentially great shot, that could be made better if it were
cropped - would you not crop it out of principle or would you do so to get
the print?<<

Yes, I'd crop. I'd also wonder why I didn't get the image right in the
viewfinder. Cropping says to me that I could have done better. Not always.
Sometimes getting it right in the viewfinder is impossible. Sometimes not
getting it right is sloppiness, or failure to previsualize adquately. I'm
trying to eliminate the latter.

Most of my images too much in them. Not just around the edges, but
throughout the negative. A good image should be simple. When I'm out
shooting I want to think about how to simplify things. It's a difficult
discipline to master. I once read something 3 important principles in
photography. 1) Keep things simple. 2) When you think you're close enough,
get closer. 3) I can't remember number 3.

Dave