Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB Panoramic head
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 18:39:01 -0700

>Dearest and estimated fellows,
>
>I'm desperately seeking a panoramic head for my next exhibition.
>I'm working in a project concerning panoramic images and would appreciate to
>use my M's in the project.
>
>I'd, also, appreciate some comments, directions or whatever to be said on
>the subject.
>
>Thanks in advance
>

>Pablo Kolodny
>www.pablokolodny.com

Nikon, Novoflex and Manfrotto have ones available here in Canada. I
think the first two are both around $150CDN. The Manfrotto is
considerably cheaper, but the functionality is reflected in the
price. The Nikon one which I've had for a long time, is a little bit
more versatile than the Novoflex, but maybe not quite as solid. The
Novoflex one is thinner and comes in their blue anodized color. Both
have spirit levels built in. The Manfrotto is solid and simple. If I
bought one at this time, I'd get the Nikon again.

However, for accurate panoramics with standard cameras (non-rotating
drum), you should also get a sliding stage to bring the front nodal
point of the lens over the pan head axis. If you go this route, the
Manfrotto makes sense, as it is part of their complete panoramic head
solution, consisting of a leveling base, the pano head itself, and a
two way sliding stage (also fantastically useful for macro stuff).
This is marketed by Manfrotto as their QTVR head, and costs
$300-$400US.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design