Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh - OT Long- and now for something entirely different!
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:17:54 -0400

MArk-
The 'camera oscura' is literally a 'dark room' where an image is projected
onto a wall opposite a lens or pinhole- the box could be small or large-
from an actual room, to a cardboard box! The 'camera lucida' is/was an
optical instrument that consisted of a lens and sometimes a mirror, that
projected a bright image onto a drawing surface much like an opaque
projector- similar set ups in theory, actually- but slightly different in
operation.
If you take a simple lens, hold is so an image is formed behind it, and then
reflect the image down to a piece of paper, you have, basically, a camera
lucida!
I think the term was used also for a device that microscopists used to
simultaneously look through a microscope ocular, and with the other eye open
and focused on a piece of paper, the two images seemed to coincide- the
microscope image, and the one the viewer was drawing- it was used to render
views through the 'scope before it was fashionable to use a camera!!!
Dan ( Old and treacherous trumps young and skillful!) Post