Subject: Re: [Leica] little meter for my m4...
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:25:55 -0400

>In a message dated 6/1/01 9:26:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>simon@camera-craftsman.com writes:

><< >I want a really small
> incident meter for the M4-P << >>

>Can someone enlighten stupid me? Incident meters measure the light
falling on
>the subject; ergo, they must face the light falling on the subject. How

>efficient is it to point a camera-mounted incident meter toward the
light
>while focussing on the subject? Am I missing something?

>Seth
>LaK 9

Hi Seth,

Here's my logic: I have an M6TTL and an M4-P. I would like a meter with
the M4-P but whether it rides on the top of the camera or in my pocket,
an external meter is an external meter - bulky and a tad clumsy in
comparison to the M6's wonderful meter. On the other hand, if it can
meter in incident mode I am gaining some utility for the extra bulk and
weight. Therefore, if I am going to carry an external meter at all, I
want it to have incident capability.

So yes, if it were attached to the camera I would have to turn around to
meter. This wouldn't be a big deal because I generally don't meter for
every shot anyway - once I establish the basic exposure for a situation
I make corrections from there by eye until I sense I have entered a new
situation. Either that or I meter again when there is a big enough lull
in the action to allow for the enormously inefficient task of pointing
an incident dome over my shoulder. :)

Anyway, I'm not planning to attach a meter to the camera. I was thinking
more along the lines of carrying a small meter in a pocket.

Regards,

Simon Stevens