Subject: Re: SV: [Leica] Two new pix/Now 35/1.4 pre-asph
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 20:05:35 -0400

Steve LeHuray <icommag@toad.net> wrote:

> Johnny Deadman replied:
>
>> the pre-asph did indeed flare like mad but also wide open it
>> was *extremely* soft. Nice pictorially in some circumstances
>> but just no rendition of fine detail whatsoever wide open.
>> Technically I think a combination of coma and spherical
>> aberrations, 'classic' but sometimes frustrating.
>>
>> Much softer in my experience than say the 50/1.4 wide open.
>
> hmmmm.....that is curious about the 35/1.4 being *extremely* soft.
> Early on with my weekly PAW I was going through an 'available
> darkness' phase and posted these three photos all with the 35/1.4
> pre-asph and at 1.4. They are probably not up to ASPH standards
> but I did not think the results was too terrible. Would love more
> discussion on the 35/1.4. Please look:
>
> http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/wk4a.jpg
>
> http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/wk13.jpg
>
> http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/wk13a.jpg
>
> This last is the weakest of the three, but if the people had been
> wearing lighter clothing it may have made a difference. Also this
> was shot at 1/15th.

Steve, these photos are right in line with the results I get with my old
35mm f/1.4. Wide open it is on the soft side but not extremely so. I
personally love its particular type of softness...not unsharp but smooth &
rounded. For available darkness shooting this quality is exactly what I
wanted and is in fact the main reason why I bought the lens. Then again I'm
fond of diffusion and other resolution-killing techniques that no doubt make
some people here cringe. :-) At f/4 and smaller, OTOH, this 'lux is at least
as sharp as my first-generation 35 Summicron, maybe sharper.

- -Dave-