Subject: Re: [Leica] Movement of Aperture Ring on Summicron-M 90 APO
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:37:28 +0200

** Tom Henson wrote:

> On top of that this lens turned out to be WORSE
> than the one that I sent in.  It had dust mites
> crawling around inside.

That's my fear.  This lens is optically perfect, as far as I can tell.  What if
I get it back, and the ring is fixed, but the optics have suffered?  Just
disassembling a lens is risky.  Maybe I am being too anal by worrying about play
in the aperture ring of a lens that is _optically_ superb.  Unfortunately, it's
hard for me to reason objectively and it still bothers me.

> Moral, get it replaced. Don't send it in for repair.

If they'd replace it.  I suppose I could sell it back to the dealer, then turn
around and buy another one.  That would probably cost me a few hundred dollars,
but it might be safer.  But first I need to figure out if this is really worth
doing, given that I have an optically satisfactory lens.  I'd rather have the
optics than a tight aperture ring (but I'd prefer both, of course).

I looked again last night, and the ring moves by about 0.35 mm--about the width
of the tiny white lines with which the figures on the ring are engraved).  That
works out to just 1/26 of a stop (there is a bit over 9 mm between stops).  The
blades _seem_ to move, but I'm not sure (it's hard to recognize 1/26 of a
stop!).  Obviously, this cannot possibly have an effect on my photos, so my only
real concern is that it might get worse, I guess.

** Frank Filippone wrote:

> Make em take it back!

All well and good, but what if they refuse?  Also, I really need to determine
whether or not this is within specifications for the lens.  If I demand a lens
that has no play and that is not normal for the lens, I might be waiting a long
time.  Also, I'm afraid that I'd get an optically inferior lens with a tight
aperture ring.

Needless to say, I have been fretting over this for two days now.  I wish I had
not noticed that movement in the aperture ring.

** Dan Honemann wrote:

> Wow--you could actually see the legs on dust mites
> in the 100 apo?

For what it is worth, this lens shows me detail that I didn't think I could get
in scans.  My scanner can do 53 lp/mm at best, and this lens appears to easily
beat that.  Now, that in itself is no surprise, especially for a Leica lens; but
what surprises me is that I am getting this on shots that I took _handheld_, and
it _is_ a 90-mm lens.  So I'm really surprised (and happy) that I'm getting such
amazing sharpness even with handheld shots (maybe my hands are steadier than I
thought, or something).

Replies: Reply from "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Movement of Aperture Ring on Summicron-M 90 APO)