Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen Gear Registry - BEFORE?
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 08:39:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/01 12:08:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sonc@sonc.com
writes:

<<  Why don't we Luggers have a registry of equipment BEFORE they get stolen -
 > dealers could check before they purchase or trade used Leica gear.
 > Obviously, we would have to notify dealers that this is available.  How
 > about through Leica? >>

Of course, Leica USA has a registry of all new equipment bought through its
dealers and registered with Leica. I assume all distributors world-wide do
the same. That does not account for the very large amount of used equipment
changing hands.

The LUG could certainly establish its own registry list but it would take a
real effort to administer and keep current. As to Sonny's concern, it would
not give the bad guys a track of all Leica equipment, only LUG-owned
equipment, and I'm not sure what good that would do the bad guys. They'd have
to look up the actual geographic location of the owner of a collection
interesting enough to make the effort, then travel there, reconnoitre and do
the job. Possible but unlikely, eh?

Seth   LaK 9