Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 13:04:09 -0500

John Collier said:

>> >I like good support and I am happy to pay for it.

Austin (who never signs his name) Franklin spewed out:

> I think this 'support' thing is a red herring.  It is an excuse to charge
> more money for the same item, and claim something is different.  I doubt the
> extra US warranty they give really costs them that much more.

It seems to me on this subject that is always overlooked is that Leica USA
has considerable overhead that has to be paid for; salaries, rent,
advertising, Leica Days at dealers, health insurance, pay roll taxes, travel
expenses, etc, etc.

> How many people have had warranty claims?  I've got 6 pieces of Leica gear,
> some bought new (gray) and some bought used.  It gets used quite a bit.
> I've not had one problem with any of these items.

OK, you have not had any warranty claims, neither have I, but it seems just
from reading this list many have.

> How come no other country gets "abused", price wise, like the US does for
> camera goods?  I agree with what Frank said, I hate weaseling, and that is
> what camera companies are doing here in the US, IMO.

"abused" that is prepostorous, Austin, and only shows how ignorant you are
about business. I doubt that Leica is getting rich from USA sales. I for one
will not buy grey market for Leica, Nikon or any others. Part of the price
of Leica ownership is hoping they make enough money to stay in business.

sl