Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 15:21:21 -0600

- --=====================_9469306==_.ALT

At 03:24 PM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:
 >What they avoid is the Leica USA piece of the pie, and that's it. Companies
 >could 'get away' with this crap for years, but now that the economy is a
 >global economy, Leica, and others, better get their act together, or it WILL
 >be the death of them.

The Leica USA piece of the pie is a Leica warehouse in the US stocking
equipment and parts, as well as repair techs, marketing and sales help for
dealers, etc.  Get away with crap?  Rather, I see it as paying for a
valuable service if you choose.  If you so desire, purchase gray market and
ignore Leica USA.  Apparently what you want is to bypass the Leica USA
costs while receiving their benefits.

 >And...why DO US dealers pay more? Well, because Leica USA CHARGES them
 >more. Duh.

And your point is?

 >> If everyone buys gray market, there are no more USA dealers.
 >My gawd, that's a completely silly statement.

Instead of descending into insults, try arguing your position with facts
and logic.  I might have better said: If everyone buys gray market, there
is no Leica USA.  There will still be a handful of gray market dealers, but
isn't it nice to have a local shop where you can see the equipment before
you buy from a gray market mail-order firm?  Isn't it nice to have a choice
whether or not to buy with a warranty?

The point is that without Leica USA, an out-of-stock body, lens, or repair
part may take 8-12 weeks to arrive (from personal experience with German
companies).  Even if you use one of the superb non-Leica techs to repair
your camera, they have to get parts from somewhere, don't they?

I guess I don't understand your hostility towards Leica USA.  I've got an
idea, though.  You've mentioned your business expertise - why not approach
Leica with a global business plan that will allow them to realize the
tremendous profits they are missing?  It would benefit us all to see lower
prices and better service!

Kevin M. Bell
www.Camera-Collectors.Com

- --=====================_9469306==_.ALT

At 03:24 PM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:<br>
&gt;What they avoid is the Leica USA piece of the pie, and that's it.
Companies <br>
&gt;could 'get away' with this crap for years, but now that the economy
is a <br>
&gt;global economy, Leica, and others, better get their act together, or
it WILL <br>
&gt;be the death of them. <br><br>
The Leica USA piece of the pie is a Leica warehouse in the US stocking
equipment and parts, as well as repair techs, marketing and sales help
for dealers, etc.&nbsp; Get away with crap?&nbsp; Rather, I see it as
paying for a valuable service if you choose.&nbsp; If you so desire,
purchase gray market and ignore Leica USA.&nbsp; Apparently what you want
is to bypass the Leica USA costs while receiving their
benefits.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>
&gt;And...why DO US dealers pay more? Well, because Leica USA CHARGES
them <br>
&gt;more. Duh.<br><br>
And your point is?<br><br>
&gt;&gt; If everyone buys gray market, there are no more USA
dealers.<br>
&gt;My gawd, that's a completely silly statement.<br><br>
Instead of descending into insults, try arguing your position with facts
and logic.&nbsp; I might have better said: If everyone buys gray market,
there is no Leica USA.&nbsp; There will still be a handful of gray market
dealers, but isn't it nice to have a local shop where you can see the
equipment before you buy from a gray market mail-order firm?&nbsp; Isn't
it nice to have a choice whether or not to buy with a warranty?&nbsp;
The point is that without Leica USA, an out-of-stock body, lens, or
repair part may take 8-12 weeks to arrive (from personal experience with
German companies).&nbsp; Even if you use one of the superb non-Leica
techs to repair your camera, they have to get parts from somewhere, don't
they?<br><br>
I guess I don't understand your hostility towards Leica USA.&nbsp; I've
got an idea, though.&nbsp; You've mentioned your business expertise - why
not approach Leica with a global business plan that will allow them to
realize the tremendous profits they are missing?&nbsp; It would benefit
us all to see lower prices and better service!<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Kevin M. Bell<br>