Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used
From: Tom.Henson@bakerbotts.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:55:01 -0500

I wish I could agree with you on buying a direct import with little chance
of a problem.

I purchased three new lenses as part of a "package".

The dealer that I bought my entire R8 outfit didn't sell gray market, but he
was willing to discount the "package". I probably came within $400 of what
gray market price was and still had USA items.

Over the course of the next month I ended up returning the R8 due to a
defect and finally got a good one the third time around.

I also ended up sending all three of the lenses to Leica USA due to poor
quality.

I had all three lenses replaced without hassle or question.

I ended up having to get a credit on the third lens as Leica Solms botched a
repair.

Do you think I would have been able to do this with an International
warranty? Perhaps, but I doubt Leica USA would bend over backwards to help.
Which is just what they did. Brenda Olesin and I are now on a first name
basis because of all this and I deeply respect her commitment to me to make
things right.

That is the chance one takes on buying gray market instead of USA.

Tom Henson