Subject: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 07:56:46 +0100

Hi again Austin,
surely the price (ie the value not the absolute number) SHOULD be
independant of exchange rate, unless the rate is changing so quickly that it
is noticed when there is a lag between wholesale and retail sales? Some
countries can get away with higher prices simply because of history. The net
is changing this slowly thank goodness (but with only about 1% of the worlds
population owning a computer its got a long way to go yet!). I have
travelled all over the world for the last 25 years. Amongst the places I
visit most things are cheapest in the USA. Porsches are cheaper in San
Francisco than Stuttgart for example. One interesting differences is
cameras. Japanese 35mm kit is MUCH cheaper in the USA. German stuff is about
the same price as here. Medium format is expensive in the US, particularly
Mamiya.
cheers Frank