Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon + Tamron revisited
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:46:23 -0700

Dan,

I'm preaching to the choir, but a couple of remarks about that 28-200 lens:

- - I had the same experience with that lens.  It's packaged for convenience,
not for great optical quality. I don't think it would even be considered a
good performer in Tamron's own hierarchy.  The "highly rated" designation
must be due to its sales success - their ads tout something like a million
units sold...

- - I had the same disappointment as you did.  Used it in '96 during a family
vacation to Hawaii.  None of the photos are even close to a Leica or Zeiss
grade image, regardless of where in the zoom range or aperature.

- - Not coincidently, that was the year I switched to Leicas.

John