Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Picture of week 22 (Nathan)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 01:29:47 +0200

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the comments. You are absolutely right, the flash shadow is too
harsh and the picture could stand some more cropping. This was one of those
situations where the possibilities for moving were extremely limited, since the
seating was very cramped; and since it was dark it was difficult to see the
edges of the frame. The shoulder belongs to my wife who (on my command) moved
as far back in the seat as possible, but obviously not enough.

Nathan

Eric wrote:

> Nathan:
>
> >I snapped this shot of her with boyfriend, trying to capture their
> >attention and fascination with the proceedings in the arena. See at:
> >
> >http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/22.jpg
>
> I believe you succeeded!  I like their expressions.
>
> I don't like the shadow of your daughter's chin on her friend.  I remember
> going round-and-round with Mark (Rabiner) about separating the flash from
> the lens.  He finally convinced me that pencil-thin shadows from flash are
> generally better than more noticeable ones.  Give that forensic evidence
> look to your photos!  (What kind of chalk is best used for the outlines,
> though?)
>
> I'd also crop in from the left to eliminate the half-dozen or so bright
> spots in front of the row of kids.  They take my focus away from the two
> subjects.  I'd also be tempted to crop a bit from the right and bottom, and
> then burn in the remainder of the lady's arm.  Put more focus back on the
> kids.
>
> Eric

- --
Nathan Wajsman