Subject: [Leica] 28mm M Lens recommendation (WAS: 35mm R Lens recommendation)
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:37:56 -0400

Dave,

> I was talking about the M version of the 28 Elmarit. I know what you mean
> about the 28/2. Lots of hype, which I'm sure it will live up to  in actual
> use. But I'll never let go of my 28/2.8. It's a gem.

Thanks for the clarification.  I'd been leaning toward the new 28/2 asph
when cosina came out with their f1.9 version at less than a third of the
price of the M lens--and so I figured I'd try that.  But you have me
considering the elmarit now, about which I've heard nothing but praise.
There's a Leica day coming up here in about 10 days, and I can get a new
elmarit for pretty cheap (10% off list and then the $200 rebate).  I plan on
shooting the 28 at f8 and zone focusing mostly anyway (for street work), so
the extra stop doesn't make a huge difference to me (I have the 35/1.4 asph
for low light work).

So many choices,
Dan