Subject: [Leica] 28 mm M Lens recommendation
From: "Gil, Miguel (US - Los Angeles)" <mgil@deloitte.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 18:28:59 -0400

I agree the angle for the 28 mm-76° & for the 35 mm-64° are close.  But
visually they are like night and day.  The 35 mm acts like a wide 50 mm with
out the pictures looking like you used a wide angle lens.  With the 28 mm
the look between foreground and background really stand out, quite different
from the 35 mm. With the 24 mm and 21 mm this effect becomes more
pronounced.    I personally like the 21 mm ASPH in the way it handles these
relationships, and lets me get really close if I'm not to shy at the moment.
If I wasn't packing light, I would carry the 28,24, & 21.  All these lens
really give you a different look.

I know its difficult to compromise and just get one of these babies.  I have
been thinking about getting the new 21-24-28 viewfinder but it might make me
lust after what I don't have.

Its like the HCB deal with his 50 mm.  Yeah people say he used a 50 mm for
most of his work.  But what was all that stuff he carried in his bag, maybe
a 28 mm, 35 mm, 90 mm, 135 mm, & 400 mm.  I guess that's why he didn't like
being photographed photographing.  It might dispel the myth, especially if
he is caught with a 24 mm ASPH.  The more I look at his work, the more I'm
convinced that the foreground and background relationships could not be
created with a 50 mm, in the majority of his pictures.  Any insights? I
would say the majority of his published shoots where taken with a 35 mm, 50
mm, 28 mm and 90 mm, in that order.  Though sometimes I wonder if he even
used a 50 mm.  Sometimes a picture taken with the 50 mm or the 35 mm are
hard to tell apart.  If we only had contact sheets.  But if he welded one
lens to one camera then did would not provide much information.

Are there accounts of other photographers that have peeked into his bag.  To
verify his use of the 50 mm.  It's not like Smith who dangled 4 or 5 cameras
on his body.  There is little doubt that he used various focal lengths to
get his snaps.  Whether it was a Leica, Rollie, or Minolta SRT.

Mike Gil

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this