Subject: [Leica] A First Leica Story
From: "Edward Mortimer" <munkfishy2k@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:03:39 -0000

I havent been on this list for long but I thought you might like to hear a
story of how my father aquired his first Leica...

Well it all started when he was browsing around an antique shop in Devon, on
the third floor there was a large basket with about ten or so camera cases
in it. He had a bit of a look and one of the cases had been modified for use
with a telephoto lens. But on the front of the case was the word 'Leica'. He
wasnt too excited at this stage as he thought it was probably just a couple
of cases stuck together. On picking up the case he found it to have some
weight to it indicating there might be something inside. And then there was
a label that read...'Old Leica Camera £9'(this was in 1997)So he thought,
well even if its completely broken and unusable it still had to be worth £9!
Then he open the case and saw the top plate of a rangefinder and that
beautifully written word Leica. NOW he was excited and he quickly close the
case in case someone else saw this bargin. He then headed for the cashier
where he said he felt two things. On the one hand he felt like he was
robbing the place and on the other he was petrified that the cashier would
realise that this camera was completly underpriced and ruin this bargin by.
But alas she didnt and he was able to purchase his very first Leica
unhindered.

The camera turned out to be a black 1932 Leica II complete with 3.5 Elmar,
in full working order. And although a little brassed in places after a
little clean up it looked pretty good, not bad for £9 me thinks! I had to
pay £1300 for my fist Leica... b'stard

He's still has it and uses it occasionally.

Regards Edd