Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica r 60
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 02:10:41 -0700 (PDT)

Mehrdad Sadat wrote:

Does anybody shoot with this lens? any opinions on the optics/contrast
and build would be appreciated as I have a sudden erg to buy one. I
need help on the support my decision with how good this lens is and ...
or help with keeping the $$.

Mehrdad,

I use the 60mm/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R lens more than any other. I find
that it gives very sharp images, with high contrast and brilliant
colors. The quality of out-of-focus areas (bokeh) of this lens is first
class and provides a smooth background, which I think is especially
important for macro lenses. Owing to its macro design, it is rather big
compared to most "standard" lenses, although it balances well with
Leica-R camera bodies.  It has a deeply recessed front element and,
thus, does not require a lens hood.  Filters (E55) can be attached if
required.

It performs well not only at the close distances for which it was
designed but also at ranges up to infinity.  If you don't need the
speeds of the faster 50mm Summicron-R or Summilux-R lenses, the 60mm
Macro-Elmarit-R can serve very well as an all-round standard lens with
macro capabilities. I haven't found its slightly narrower angle of view
to be a significant factor.

Performance is very good at f/2.8. It can be improved further by
stopping down to f/4 or f/5.6 at normal ranges. At macro ranges,
stopping down further still, to f/8 or f/11, will help to maintain
excellent reproduction and will also be beneficial for increased depth
of field. Its minimum aperture is f/22.

In macro use, it is capable of up to 1:2 reproduction when used on its
own, or up to 1:1 when used with Leica's optional macro extender.  When
used with a bellows-R or other types of extension tubes, it can provide
greater reproduction ratios.

I should mention that some people prefer the Leica 100mm
APO-Macro-Elmarit-R over the 60mm for macro work, since it offers
superlative performance and allows the photographer to work at a
greater distance from the subject.  However, the 100mm macro costs
considerably more than the 60mm.

You can see an excellent and detailed review of the 60mm macro lens at
Doug Herr's site, URL: http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/60R28.HTM

Hope that helps.

Regards,

=====