Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 motor-winder vs. drive (again)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:05:35 +0200

Dan,

I bought a motor winder from Pascal last year, and I am very pleased with it. It
improves the ergonomics of an already fantastic camera, and I personally do not
need the higher speeds of the motor drive. I also do not find that shutter lag
is a problem, although in all fairness I do not pay much attention to it on my
SLRs, it is more of an M issue for me (that is, I use mostly the M system in
situations where shutter lag needs to be as short as possible).

Keep in mind that there have been reports of problems related to the motor drive
too, so it is not like it is a 100% "safe" choice.

It sounds like you really need to try both on your R8 and decide after shooting
a few exposures with each.

Nathan

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Based on these two comments, I'm wondering if getting the motor-winder,
> despite the better ergonomics (in my view) and smaller footprint/weight,
> isn't a mistake for the R8.  I find slow reaction or shutter lag to be a
> vice I'd rather not suffer in my SLR (in fact, it seems surprising for a
> camera of this class).
>
> Anyone else care to weigh in on one side or the other?  Have others
> experienced this slow shutter reaction time in using the R8?
>
> Dan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland