Subject: [Leica] Re: R8 motor-winder or drive (again)
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 17:37:28 +0200

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Okay, I had all but decided that the motor-winder was my choice--as I much
> prefer the size, weight and handling with the winder as opposed to the
> bulkier drive--but then I read two posts that have me concerned:

> Anyone else care to weigh in on one side or the other?  Have others
> experienced this slow shutter reaction time in using the R8?

Dan,

I have used R8 motor-drive since its release and it never happened to me.
I much prefer the motor-drive because of the much better ergonomics (IMO).

What I didn't like on the winder was:

- - the lack of second and third shutter release.
(one of the few drawback of the R8 is the place of the neck strap in
relation with the camera shutter release)
- - the lack of hand strap (a strap is safer with lenses starting from
80/1,4 IMO)
(BTW, I've replaced the so wide leather part of the strap by a narrower one)
- - the lack of single shot position (lot of double pictures)
- - the slowness to rearm.
- - the incredible slowness to rewind the film.
- - the difficulty to put the batteries in my pocket, when it's cold out there.
- - the lack of unthreaded hole in front of the tripod mounting bush.
see: <http://nemeng.com/leica/#007c>

In a way, you can do the same with your R8, with or without the winder.
;-)

Lucien