Subject: Re: [Leica] film
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:29:03 +0200

Hi Michael,

You will have to find your own favorites, but here is what I use:

For slides, all 3 speeds of Kodachrome (25, 64 and 200). Kodachrome 25
has recently been discontinued, so I have a stash in the freezer. K64 is
my basic film, K200 when the light is poor (e.g. winter in Scandinavia).
As Doug mentioned, Kodachrome is out of favor these days because of its
natural color rendition and the long turnaround time. But I like the
natural colors and I live in Switzerland, where the turnaround is
somewhat tolerable, around 1 week including time in the mail. When I am
in a hurry and need to shoot E6, I use Fuji Provia 100F, and excellent
film. I find Fuji Velvia too saturated. And when I need a fast slide
film, Fuji Provia 400F is by far the best in its class.

For B&W, I stick to Ilford films: Ilford Delta 100 or 400 for everyday
shooting and Ilford Delta 3200 (rated at 1600) for low light. My two
favorite developers are Kodak XTOL (diluted 1+3 for Delta 100) and
Ilford's Ilfotec DD-X.

I think it is fair to say that many on the LUG share these preferences,
although the old standbys Kodak Tri-X and Ilford HP5 continue to be
popular as well.

You can find data sheets and all sorts of useful info on these films on
Kodak's and Ilford's web sites (www.ilford.com and www.kodak.com).

Nathan

"G. Michael Paine" wrote:

> I am new here. I notice that most of the posts seem to be in regard
> to hardware. So excuse me if this post would be better off directed
> elsewhere.
> I am just getting back into serious, for me, shooting. I've been in
> my point-and-shoot stage for 6 or 7 years  with my Mini and have lost
> touch with the film situation. I am now back to a full blooded Leica,
> M6.  I need some comments and/or guidance.
> Would someone be so kind as to point me to a source(s), comments
> etc., on current slide films, and some on B&W.
> A note: I notice that a lot of the photography in the Natl.,
> Geographic, of late, seems to be on Fuji film rather than Kodachrome.
> The film, whose spelling escapes me right now starts with a V. I
> would like to know about a serious alternative to Kodak.
> Thanks for any guidance.
> Michael

- --
Nathan Wajsman