Subject: Re: [Leica] I'm Ruining My Glasses
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:19:03 +0200

I in fact prefer the metal rimmed viewfinder ocular on the early Ms. And
they don't scratch MY glasses (Zeiss Punktal, with the greenish
multilayer coating). Possibly you have "plastic" glasses that scratch
easily. The M6's rubber ones sometimes smear on MY glasses. To solve
your problem I would suggest the following:

1. use "glas" glasses, preferably with high refraction index. These are
a tad heavier than "plastic" glasses, but noticeably thinner.

2. ask for "plastic" glasses with scratch resistant coating.

Even if techncially feasible, putting the M6's rubber rimmed viewfinder
ocular is more expensive. The rubber is vulcanised on the metal. So it
is not an external rubber piece. With external rubber protectors it may
get more difficult to see the 28mm or even the 35mm frame.

My general advice for eyeglas wearers is to choose frames for medium or
small lens diameters. You save weight and money. They are more
convenient for looking through cameras, binoculars etc., because they
are closer to the eyeballs. And I wouldn't accept glasses without the
best available anti-glare coating.

Hans-Peter