Subject: Re: [Leica] what and why you photograph
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:02:36 -0500

Dan Honemann asks:

> Obviously, only the most passionate and dedicated photographers with the
> most discriminating eye use Leicas (isn't it fun addressing the choir? :)).
>
> I'm interested in hearing how fellow LUG nutz got interested in photography,
> why they pursue it and what they like to shoot.  I'm spending some time now
> looking at my own interest in this medium and seeing if I can't refine my
> vision (no pun intended) of what I want from this medium.  I'd love to hear
> statements from others about their visions and goals.

Well OK.

I was at the 1971 Daytona Motorcycle Races in 1971 making a documentary film
(16mm) for Kawasaki. That was the year several motorcycle racing legends
came out of retirement just to do that race; Mike Hailwood, Giacomo
Agostini, Phil Read, Kel Carruthers and Barry Sheene and Paul Smart were
also there. Usually when shooting a film you have lots of time on your hands
so i amused myself by taking still pictures. Later back at home in Los
Angeles one of the magazine editors called me to ask if I had any good
shots, I did and he bought some of them. From that I would start getting
regular calls to go to races around the country to cover them. They also
wanted me to write a story about the race.

From that I started to do road tests and eventually a staff editorial
position. The gear I used were two Nikon Fs with a 50mm and a 200 that I had
bought at a pawn shop. These were part of all the gear I traded last week
for two new M6s. It was hard letting go of those memories and
extraorindarily reliable cameras.

A few years later I started my first magazine, a trade magazine for the film
industry and for the past 20 years I have been taking a lot of celebrity
pictures, still with that original gear plus more gear that I added on. My
first Leica M2 pictures (first role) were of Steven Spielberg and George
Lucas.

I might add that I have never been driven to take pictures and to this day
do not call myself a photographer when somebody asks what I do. I could
probably do better if I applied myself. Photography is a fun thing I like to
do, especially Street Photography. My goal is not to buy any more camera
gear Leica or otherwise. I will leave my vision for others to say.

And that is most of the story.

sl