Subject: Re: [Leica] attached file
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:07:19 +0200

> St, here in America, the news of  virus consequences has
> frightened enough people that the mere suggestion of a
> possible virus has many of us scurrying to buy a newer,
> latest vaccine.  The Millennium was a very good century for
> computer virus detecting software.   I hear the companies
> are already gearing up for 3000.

Yes, but there is a LOT of spam messages - virus warnings,
creating atmosphere of terror and danger. People are
so much frightened and know as little about viruses,
that are afraid that virus will destroy their BIOS
or reprogram their credit card. Please note that macro
viruses are mainly a Outlook ones - Outlook opens
automatically these messages and run them by default -
you just have to open attachment. But mere *viewing*
a email text won't do any harm - and can't.

I hope people will see how little and mainly fake is
so-called 'virus danger'; actually I met mere two
viruses in all my life :) I hope you all are wiser
and will just (in Outlook):
Tools->Options->Security
..and disable running attachments.

PS
As for virus hoax - I wonder if we will see a R8
virus soon? it is possible , as R8 has a programmable
microprocessor with fairly big memory...

Best :)
- -----
                                St.

Message from "clive sanbrook" <clive.sanbrook@virgin.net> (Re: [Leica] attached file)