Subject: [Leica] Re: "Pete"
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:11:44 -0700

I wrote:
> Doug Herr wrote:
>
> > "Pete" is a 10-year-old arabian horse at a riding stable near my home.

<snip>

> The lighting is beautiful, and the mane in the breeze really brings out
the
> movement.  If I were to crave for more, I wish I could see some details in
> the eys, but you may very well have the details in the original
transparency
> and the drum scan.  Placing Pete's eye in the centre will draw more
> attention to it, but cropping from the right will trim some of the
movement,
> and the power you feel from his strong shoulder.

I played around with cropping, and I think trimming 20 pixels from the right
works.  It places the centre of the photographs right between his left eye
and his ear, without taking away much from the beautiful light on his mane.
I also tried playing with the gamma curve, and a little adjustment to bring
out the shadow details can do wonders, too.

However, lacking the original scan file, or the final output, consider my
comments to be that of an armchair critic.  Bravissimo!