Subject: Re: [Leica] blank top
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:09:58 -0800

>> From: "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net>
>>
>> Does anyone know why Leica decided to do away with the engraving
>> on the top and move it to the front an back of the body?
>
>To save money as the new ones are cast in while the old ones were hand
>engraved. My wife prefers the clean lines of the new look. Me? I look
>through the viewfinder where, thank the deity of your choice, there is no
>Leica or Leitz script whatsoever.
>
>John Collier

What puzzles me is one of the new collectors M6s that says "Leica M6" on
the front and then has "Leica" engraved in script on the top, in addition
to the red dot with "Leica" written on it. For me, this is the camera
equivalent of the t-shirt that has a small Nike logo (or whatever brand you
like) on the front with a big Nike logo on the back, in addition to the
Nike logo on the inner tag.

I guess I would prefer that the word "Leica" not appear anywhere on the
camera. Like an M2 with a clean top plate.

I suppose some would say that that's what black tape is for.

Guy