Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 .58
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:34:42 -0800

>Has anyone experienced the new M6 with the .58 viewfinder and the 24mm lens?
>Although there are no 24mm framelines, can you see the entire angle of view
>of a 24mm lens at the outer edge of this viewfinder?
>I had heard that with the .72 viewfinder, the outer edge of the viewfinder
>was roughly the 24mm angle of view.  If that were true, it should be more so
>with the .58.  I am making sense?  Let me put it another way; I would like
>to use the 24mm lens accurately without the viewfinder attachment.  I
>currently have the .72 M6.  Please advise.
>Arturo

Arturo,

The .58 viewfinder does gives a wider view than the .72, much wider in fact
than the angle of view of the 24 Elmarit. Though many Luggers use the 24
with either camera sans external viewfinder, I find that I cannot frame
shots as accurately as I'd like w/out the finder, so I also use it when
shooting with that lens.

If you have access to a .58 body and a 24 VF, why not try it out for
yourself and see if it's close enough for you? Just mount the VF on the
body, and compare the coverage in both VFs, internal and external. Then you
can decide if you'd be happy shooting w/out one.

Guy